Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

DIY Lip Palettes Beware

I have been meaning to do this post for a really long time and keep forgetting but then Marlena (MakeupGeek) posted a video and it reminded me that I needed to do this. Her video shows how to melt down your lipsticks into palettes and get perfect pretty palettes. Sounds great, right? Well, before you go and melt down your favorite lipsticks I want you to see what happens when you melt them.




Here is Revlon Nude Attitude.
(melted on left original on right)
Before melting, it was the prettiest pinky nude with a hint of iridescent blue. Now it is this sad little tan. I was so upset that melting this lipstick totally altered the color, texture and even intensity. The swatch on the left (in each picture) had to be swiped 3 or 4 times just to get it to show, the one on the right only once.






NYX Chloe
(Original left, melted right)
Fortunately with this one the color wasn't altered too much but the intensity was :(
Again, I had to take 3 swipes at the melted lipstick to get the same vibrancy as the original. I also noticed I cannot see the blue iridescent finish on the melted lipstick.


NYX Rhea
(Original left, melted right)
Same thing here again, the color is slightly more pinky tan on the right and less intense.



NYC Sheer Red
(original left, melted right)
This one didn't change at all in my opinion. I was pleasantly surprised :)


NYX Narcissus
(original left, melted right)
No change here either! YAY :)







And my biggest disappointment....
Avon Oxford Wine
(original left, melted right)

My mother in law gave me this color a few years ago and I never used it. It's been sitting in a box just waiting to be used :( I thought it would be a nice addition to my makeup kit...so I melted it, bad move! On the left you can see how beautiful the color is and now it no longer has that deep purple tint to it :(


Although all weren't altered from original form, I decided not take that risk and cut the rest for my other palette. If you are thinking about melting your lipsticks, I would definitely think twice before doing it to your favorite lippies!

12 comments:

  1. oh i never imagined that would happen :O thanks for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally didn't think it would happen either. I was afraid it might but I searched and searched and not once did I ever see anything that said this would happen :( Lesson learned LOL

      Delete
  2. I watched this video, and I remembered that the lipstick expanded as it cooled from its melted form. So in that sense, it makes sense to take more of the melted product to equal the intensity of the original product. I can't quite explain the color change on some of your lippies though :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it is the weirdest thing. Oh well. I'm just sad with the last lipstick because it is a discontinued color now :(

      Delete
  3. Awwww. I didn't know melting changed the color. :'( Too bad;; Thanks for the warning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither did I ;) It didn't happen to all of them though. Melt at your own risk LOL ;)

      Delete
  4. Oh man, thank you SO much for posting this. I was considering melting down my lipsticks because my freelancing was picking up... I'd rather just get a pre-made lip palette instead of risking my expensive lipsticks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly why I wanted to show this! Also the reason I tried with my cheap lipsticks LOL

      Delete
  5. Hi could u plez tell me how to melt your lipsticks to a palette ? Thanks Leanne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi can u plez tell how to do this with my lipsticks thanks. Leanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply. For some reason I no longer get notified when someone comments :( For this project I used a spoon and a tea light candle. Scoop a bit of lipstick onto the spoon but BE CAREFUL!!! Only put a small amount at a time. Once the lipstick melts it WILL spill over! Trust me, I made a huge mess with my first color LOL. Once the lipstick has melted, I poured it into a sterilized pan that I got from Coastal Scents. This will take a few spoons full of melted lipstick to fill the pan but for me that was the easiest and it was less messy :) Hope that helps

      Delete
  7. For perfect woman beauty treatment is necessity. Really, excellent collections professionally uses about beauty product.

    cosmetics online store & eyeshadow duo

    ReplyDelete

Share It